February 28, 2009

Three Podcasts + 1

So when Dr. Rice assigned us the task of sharing three strong podcasts, I already had an idea of ones I thought I might share with the class. While I don't regularly listen to podcasts and I don't subscribe to any (other than Dr. Kemp's mandated course podcast for my other class Classical Rhetoric), I do regularly surf the web for interesting and amusing stuff (often when I have many other things piling up that demand my immediate attention).  

However, my first podcast for the class is Ask a Ninja which I first encountered via YouTube. When writing this post, instead of accessing these podcasts via YouTube I went to the source and accessed the official website for Ask a Ninja. My first surprise was when I realized that Ask a Ninja is now endorsed by Verizon – and might I say heavily endorsed... to the point that there's some weird incongruity going on. But having said that, Ask a Ninja always makes me laugh which is probably the primary reason why I continue to spend time with it – after all, content is king. One of my favorite episodes is "Ninja Love." Ask a Ninja demonstrates many of the key features that Michael W. Geoghegan and Dan Klass discuss in their book Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Audio and Video Podcasting. Ask a Ninja segments are short enough to hold one's attention and they follow a clearly delineated structure. Each episode begins with a familiar jingle and opening montage followed by the lead character reading a letter from a viewer asking a question to which the ninja responds in his trademark manner. That's the essence of the podcast – it's simple and its entertainment value lies in the dialogue, the comedy, and wit (plus the fact that this is grown man pretending to be a ninja). While video exists in these podcasts, it does not dominate the audio. After watching several episodes on the official website, I was somewhat dismayed by the Verizon endorsement that occurs at the end of each podcast along with a plug for the Ask a Ninja book. This was really distracting for me and somewhat disheartening (I know that's a strange word to use because it suggests some sort of emotional investment on my part towards some make-believe purity), but I think by ending the podcast with such advertising it immediately removes or separates the viewer from the enjoyment of the content they've just experienced. This suggests to me that there must be a better way to incorporate sponsorship. If you're interested in hearing the ninja explanation of podcasting, click here

The second video podcast I'd like to share is Four Eyed Monsters. This one sucked me in quickly and before I knew it I'd watched four episodes. I was moving on to the fifth (and just about ready to watch all 13 despite my looming homepage design deadline), but the website blocked me and directed me to the Independent Film Channel to continue watching the episodes and then encouraged me to buy their DVD. And frankly this ticked me off; I gave up and left. Kind of a bummer and not, I think, a wise decision. This video podcast is an interesting one to me because I can't quite ascertain whether it's "real"  life or "reel" life – whether it's a scripted version of reality or two people video documenting the process of creating a film (and likewise their burgeoning relationship). I suspect it's a bit of both. What I think is compelling about these episodes is their strongly voyeuristic quality as they follow two people finding one another and then also experiencing a sense of completeness through the co-production of this independent film delivered via podcast. There's some nice production values in this one, good metaphorical image cuts, and strong narrative dialog supported by appropriate background music. Each episode is also brief enough to sit through and fairly concise.

For my third podcast example, I had a difficult time finding an audio-only podcast that commanded my attention long enough to include here, but I'd like to share Reel Reviews Radio – an audio podcast that reviews movies. What I like about this podcast is that it includes well researched content about the movies it reviews. And from what I listened to, this podcast typically reviews somewhat off-the-wall movies or at least not mainstream, blockbuster movies. This podcast also has a pretty strong structure to it with a musical introduction, an inviting conversational tone and a lot of background information about the movie and how and who made it. Movie buffs will likely enjoy these podcasts. I think that the additional research that supports the reviews themselves is probably the key to what sets this site apart from other movie review podcasts. 

And if you're interested in puppets and really long video podcasts, check out Dot Boom, a podcast that enticed me with its claim that it was "about web designers who hate themselves" but, for me, just didn't deliver. Puppet lovers out there (and you know who you are) may choose to disagree with me on this assessment.

But I'm curious as to what the rest of the class found in terms of official sponsorship of podcasts. For those of you who encountered endorsements like the Verizon endorsement I mention above, did you find them as intrusive or incongruent as I did and why or why not?

3 comments:

  1. Monica, I like the podcasts that you found. I did not pay attention to commercial sponsorship of the podcasts that I found, perhaps because I used primarily commercial podcasts that I found through iTunes. I will admit that the Four Eyed Monster did not hold my attention very well, but I cannot tolerate jiggly camera work. When we watched Rachel Getting Married, I got nauseous from the jiggly camera work and had leave the theater.

    I wonder if the quality of the podcasts improves with commercial sponsorship and funding. It is hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask a Ninja:
    Monica, I didn't like this much. I found it silly and only mildly funny. What is it about this site that give viewers cause to return. Maybe I just don't get it. The attachment to Verizon doesn't bother me. See way below.

    Four-Eyed Monster:
    I initially didn't like the opening of the episodes. I thought it was a little crass and didn't really add to the experience. I was very quickly drawn in to the podcast though. I wrestled with the question is this reel or real? I don't know the answer. I agreed that the cut-off and push to buy the video, was weak and frustrating. It is possible that after watching the podcasts, I would consider buying the video, but after only three episodes it is imposslble to say I liked it.

    I enjoyed Reel Review Radio. It had a radio sound quality to it that I enjoyed. Seems very professionally done. It doesn't bother me that AOL is mentioned. I understand that creators have to climb into bed with advertisers. Just the nature of the biz.

    I was creeped out by Dot Boom. I didn't finish it. I think that if you are going to go professional with puppeteering you should at least be able to mouth w/o movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of the Ask a Ninja or Four Eyed monster podcasts before. I like them! It makes me think of Uncle Jay's weekly podcasts. He presents the week's current events in 'kids-speak'. The premise is very funny - like he is Mr. Rogers. He always starts out his podcast with this happy music. I enjoy them. My favorite was his wrap up of 2008. That was pretty classic.

    -Ashley O.

    ReplyDelete