February 3, 2009

For Carie...

I mentioned in our last MOO that I had noticed many websites no longer rely on a layout that fully supports the "Z" pattern of eye movement. Many websites, in order to account for different monitor sizes and resolutions and hence different browser window sizes, seem to have turned to centered placement versus abutting the website to the left edge of the page. Here are some examples of what I mean by this:


I don't know that this changes designer's tendencies to place the primary information in the top left hand corner of the page, but I do think it opens up some different ways of designing. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Monica,
    I think that left top corner isn't the default for all design, though maybe for webpages. I say this because I used to have a large colored add with the yellowpages (hardcopy) for my business. They sold the top right corner as prime viewing site, ie, more expensive! The next year, about 4 years ago, they changed the prime add viewing spot to the middle of the page. I haven't had an add since then, so don't know what they're up to now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,

    I never paid much attention to that before, but it is plain to see now. They put some related color on the left and the right and put the important stuff in the middle. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete